Top Ad 728x90

bannerad

Thursday 1 December 2016

PT 1: When 'On Becoming' Becomes Unbecoming...







I remain true to my views on feminism as a concept so I am left bewildered when people who hardly understand its tenets cook up convenient ideologies. What makes it so difficult to understand? I am honestly open to questions on my personal Facebook page as well as the blog page.

Back to the issue on ground. If you have been following the news trends then the above title comes as no surprise. Media sweetheart, Toke Makinwa released what many have described as a 'Tell it all' book although she claims it is a 'Must Tell' book.

I am a writer and in my moment of truth, hoping that this is one, I have not left the first page of a novel I started over six months ago so for a lady who many have cursed out for faking an accent and attending every event in Lagos, I am proud that she can achieve such a feat. So proud that I'd willingly spare some cash to own a copy. 

Oh yea I want a copy but not because I agree with its content but because I want to confirm if my opinion, the same opinion I am about to share is based on fact or the need to be critical. 

As the informed well know, last week, Toke Makinwa granted Bella Naija permission to release controversial excerpts from the book before it was officially launched and this week  people who rushed to grab copies off the shelf have revealed more scandalous excerpts. From the excerpts and people's first-hand opinion, many including yours sincerely made our judgment on the entire point of the book.

I admit the first time I read excerpts from On Becoming, I felt pathos; a feeling of deep pity, purgation elicited from the suffering of a tragic character; a significant feature of Greek tragedy. 

No jokes, thousands of women have gone through and are still going through this situation in the folly of wanting to maintain the illusion of having a man to call their own. Women have done much more than bleach their skin and consciously accept to constantly be in competition for a man's affection. You can ask Annie Idibia, Sandra Okagbue and every other celebrity girlfriend. But knowing you can't get access into their lives, feel free to ask me. I won't lie, I have once, maybe twice been in a not so serious shoe. Although it is what I call a lover's curse, we can't deny it.  

To be Contnd...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog do not express the views of the blogger but is appreciated.

Top Ad 728x90